By Jessica Calef
Being pregnant is a beautiful thing, but can also be a real "pain in the neck". Chiropractor Dr. Cynthia D’Amelio walks us through the benefits of Chiropractic care for both mom and baby.
Throughout my career as a Chiropractor, I have treated many women prior to, during and after pregnancy. Chiropractic care has a countless amount of benefits on both the mother and baby.
During the course of pregnancy, there will be many physiological and hormonal changes as your body prepares for the birth of your baby. A recent study found that more than 75% of pregnant women experience pregnancy-related low back pain, pelvic pain, or a combination; and that this pain increases as pregnancy progresses. Chiropractic care is a safe, effective, and drug-free way to manage these and other musculoskeletal symptoms during pregnancy.
What are the benefits of chiropractic prior to pregnancy?
What are the benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy?
- Pregnant women receiving regular chiropractic care have a 25-50% reduction in labour time.
- Pregnant women who sleep less than 6 hours average 29 hours of labour. Those women who sleep 7 or more hours average less than 18 hours of labour.
- When a breech position occurs, an experienced prenatal chiropractor certified in a special technique called the Webster Technique, has a 92% success rate to reduce in-uterine constraint and by allowing more room to help the baby turn head down.
- During pregnancy, the hormones relaxin and progesterone loosen ligaments and joints, especially in the pelvic area. The extra weight and body changes in pregnancy along with these loosened joints and ligaments can cause muscle discomfort, pelvic imbalances and ligament pain, especially the round ligament.
- During pregnancy, the body’s center of gravity moves forward increasing the lumbar (lower back) curve and placing extra strain and force through the lumbar spinal joints.
- Growing baby and increased fetal movement creates expansion of lower rib cage which can aggravate mid back joints that connect to ribs.
- Increased breast size to prepare for lactation adds additional strain to the upper back.
- Modified posture through shoulders to offset change in center of gravity causes loss of cervical neck curve leading to headaches.
- Modified gait/walking becomes wide during pregnancy which can irritate and impinge nerves of the low back and pelvis causing sciatic nerve pain and restless leg syndrome (RLS)
- Chiropractic adjustments give women greater control over the pelvic floor muscles, which in turn makes childbirth easier and recovery shorter.
- During pregnancy, women are limited with options of pain relief due to many medications found to be unsafe and increase the risk of birth defects.
- Chiropractic care is a safe alternative and holistic treatment to help resolve and/or decrease pain in pregnant women.
- In a hospital study that incorporated chiropractic adjustments during pregnancy, there was a 50% decrease in the need for painkillers during delivery.
- Chiropractic treatments help provide more comfort during breastfeeding and greater production of breast milk.
- Studies show less incidence of postpartum depression in those women undergoing chiropractic care.
Chiropractic care can help make your pregnancy experience a more positive, healthy and comfortable one.
Dr. Cynthia D’Amelio is a Doctor of Chiropractic, Webster Technique Certified, ICPA Training. She currently practices in Morristown, New Jersey.
*Please consult with your OB/GYN to determine if Chiropractic care is appropriate for you.